Monday, May 2, 2011

The death of an enemy

Osama bin Laden is dead. The dog and I were returning from our 5 a.m. walk. I picked up the newspaper from the driveway and read, "bin Laden dead: United States has body".

The Lead at Episcopal Cafe posts the question: How should Christians approach this? I asked myself the same question. The news came in the midst of the ordinary of life. My first feeling was relief. It is over. My first thought was:

Rest eternal grant unto him, O Lord, and may light perpetual shine upon him. May his soul, and the souls of all the departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

As a Christian, and a priest, this is my first thought always when I hear of a death. I thought it over after the words came into my mind, and the words still stand. God's justice and mercy are one. They are not like ours. If they were, not one of us could stand.

A man is dead. Long live God.

No comments: