Saturday, December 6, 2008

Advent or Christmas 2

It's snowing. It's 10:40 p.m. and there is already a decent dusting on the ground.

Yesterday we bought our Christmas tree. This is the first real tree we've had in 4 Christmases. When we have a real tree we usually buy it just before Christmas Eve, in keeping with our families' traditions of putting up the tree on Christmas Eve. But this year I want the lights and the tree now. I'm not denying myself this treat anymore.

I love this season, the season of November and December. I love the darkening evenings and the promise of lights reminding me that one day the sun will return. I've been an Advent scrooge for long enough. I'm 63 and 1/2 years old and from now on I please myself.

The artificial tree we used for three Christmases has been put up in the back yard, and lights strung on it. I looked out just now and there's snow on the little tree, with the red and white lights shining through it.

It just doesn't get any better than this.

I'm a priest and I say, if you want to put up your tree and your lights and play Christmas carols, you go right ahead and do it!

And while you're at it, make an early start of going around doing nice things for people as well.

Tomorrow is Advent 2. Enjoy!

No comments: