Monday, May 2, 2011

More death

I have only just learned that my Aunt Ronnie died on March 26th. On top of that, her son Robert died on June 24, 2009, and I didn't know it, and his wife, Marie pre-deceased him on September 26, 2006.

How did my side of the family drop off the radar of Aunt Ronnie's side of the family so that we knew nothing about the deaths of people with whom we had been so close when we were kids and young adults? I can see why I was cut off, which I will not go into, but my brothers surely should have been told before now.

Things happen in families. Some things worse than others. Then we lose touch, maybe on purpose, maybe just through neglect. I'm not going to tell you to go hug your family, or tell them you love them before it's too late, or get in touch with them if you haven't heard from them in ages. Things aren't that simple. Maybe they should be, and they're just not (yes, the use of "and" is intentional).

A photo of cousin Robert was included in his obit. He looked awful. I thought of him and Marie and the kids often. That's the best I could do. Rest Eternal grant unto them, O Lord, Robert, Marie and Aunt Ronnie, and may Light Perpetual shine upon them. May their souls and the souls of all the departed, and of those of us who remain, be in Peace.

No comments: