Monday, February 2, 2009

On a Mission from God

24 days and counting. We leave for Sierra Leone on the 26th of this month. I've had my shots - HepA, Polio booster, typhoid and yellow fever. That was an adventure - stuck in four different places! Still need to fill scripts for an anti-malarial and for cipro (antibiotic in case of traveler's diarrhea "with fever and/or blood" - that's enough to scare one to stay home!). All my documents are in order. Awaiting the visa to enter the country.

I'll admit to being a little afraid. I'm at risk for lymphedema after the breast cancer surgery just two years ago. Need to take care of my arm - keep it covered, treat any bug bites right away, don't get sunburn - on the equator! Is the water safe? I don't know. What if everything we're served to eat has tomatoes in it? I haven't been able to eat tomatoey things since the chemo.

At the same time, when I think of meeting the girls of the school we're helping to build, I can't wait to get there. We had each wanted to interact with the girls by teaching them things or learning from them. I've decided I'm going to have them teach me as many songs as they know, so I can bring them back with me to Grace Church. We're making a scrapbook to take with us so they'll have part of Grace Church's people with them.

I'm sure it will all be well. And I also don't know any such thing, that all will be well. But off I'll be flying on February 26, leaving the congregation to take care of one another until the four of us return.

May God in his mercy give us grace.

No comments: